The Conditions Necessary For Salaah
There are seven conditions of Salaah. It is Fard to abide by these conditions before
performing the actual Salaah.
1. Tahaarah of the body.
2. Tahaarah of the clothes.
3. Tahaarah of the place.
4. The covering of the body (Satar).
5. Facing the Qiblah.
6. Adherence to Salaah times.
7. The making of the Niyyah (intention).
TAHAARAH OF THE BODY:
1. The body should be clean of najaasah--e--Haqeeqi, impurities such as stool, urine, etc. which may be removed by means of washing.
2. The body should be free from najaasah--e--Hukmi, impurities which need Ghusl for purification.
TAHAARAH OF THE CLOTHES:
The clothes should be free from all types of najaasah, e.g. stool, urine, alcohol, blood, the saliva of dogs etc.
TAHAARAH OF THE PLACE:
1. One should perform Salaah at a paak (clean) place, free from all types of najaasah.
2. Salaah may be performed on any surface such as lawn, sand, tar, cement, a rug, carpet, "Musallah", etc. provided it is clean (paak).
1. It is Fard for men to cover themselves from the navel to the knee while women have to cover the entire body, although their feet, palms, and faces may remain uncovered.
2. The clothes should not be tight fitting.
3. It is Sunnah for males to cover as much of the body as possible. The head should be covered with a topee or turban and the arms should not be left bare.
4. The garments should be free of pictures of living objects.
5. Short skippers which cause the back to be exposed should be avoided.
6. It is Haraam to use any garment made of pig skin.
7. Women should not wear transparent clothes through which the body or hair is visible.
FACING THE QIBLAH:
1. It is obligatory to face the Qiblah when performing Salaah.
2. A person who performs Salaah in Masjid al Haraam in Makkah will face the Kabah itself.
1. Salaah should be performed during the stipulated times.
2. Salaah performed after the prescribed times is called Qadha.
1. The intention or Niyyah must be made prior to the Salaah.
2. It is necessary to define the number and type of rakaat and the Salaah which is being performed e.g. Waajib, Fard, Sunnah, Fajr, Zuhr, Asr etc.
3. One should not delay the Salaah once the Niyyah has been made.
4. The Niyyah may be made in any language.
The Niyyah may be made mentally or recited softly.